Monday, September 10, 2007

The Salamander Room (1)

Our FIAR book this week will be The Salamander Room by Anne Mazer. This will have special significance since we just bought a Leopard Gecko. We were buying gravel, dirt, moss, and things for a terrarium project...and one thing lead to another...and now we have a pet. Everyone is so excited. I'm only a little disappointed that the pet we picked is nocturnal...so the kids won't see her much. This morning I can't even find her, and hopefully that means she's found her little burrow we made from a paper towel tube. M read TSR to the kids last night. Since we'd just bought the tank, gravel, dirt, bark, moss, plants, driftwood, a water bowl, dead flys, vitamin dust, and cricket food (to beef up the crickets M catches in the yard before feeding them to the gecko), the story really came alive for the kids. We're going to have fun with this book. Maybe we'll spend 2 weeks on this. I love that we can be so flexible with our curriculum. The boys really want to learn about our new pet. Our next science unit was supposed to be the solar system...and TSR wasn't supposed to be until next week. I just switched things around a little. I'm thrilled they can be this excited about learning. This will encourage them on a lifetime quest for truth and knowledge. You can never stop learning.

No comments: