Friday, November 23, 2007

Cranberry Thanksgiving

Our FIAR book for the week of Thanksgiving was Cranberry Thanksgiving by Wende and Harry Devlin.
This was a different week for us as we tried to finally return to normal school days at our house. That just wasn't to be. Instead, we were reading CT at the Dr.'s office waiting for a cast on Tuesday.
The science element of FIAR suggest making Cranberry Bread to understand the chemical reaction.
Grandmother's Famous Cranberry Bread
2 c. sifted a.p. flour
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 c. butter
1 egg, beaten
1 t. grated orange peel
3/4 c. orange juice
1 1/2 c. light raisins
1 1/2 c. fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped
Sift flour, sugar, b.powder, salt, and b.soda into a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Add egg, o.peel, and o.j. all at once; stir just until mixture is evenly moist. Fold in raisins and cranberries. Spoon into a greased 9x5x3 loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 10 min., or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack. If you choose, you may substitute cranberries for the raisins to have an all cranberry bread.
Recipe tested by the Food Department of Parents' Magazine
M and I were in Massachutes during October (cranberry harvest) for our honeymoon. We visited a Cranberry Bog when we were there, so I had these photos to show the kids.
I found this rocket kit that used baking soda and vinegar. (I bought the rocket at Marshall's on clearance for $4 though.)
M took the boys to the empty school yard across the street on Friday for the launch.

The boys learned about the gas that is produced when you mix baking soda (alkaline) and vinegar (acid). This same gas creates bubbles in the bread batter. Those bubbles are caught as the bread bakes...giving loft to the loaf.

1 comment:

A. said...

OH, vinegar and baking soda are big here. I buy it in bulk at the dollar tree. :) The kids love to build volcanoes in the dirt and put baking soda in them, and then start the lava flow with vinegar.

I love your FIAR activities! You are so organized!